Thursday, 22 May 2014

Drama Recap: 追鱼传奇 (Mermaid Legend) : The Love Story of The Crown Prince & A Fishing Village Girl (Part 2 of 12)




  I have been practically camping in office these few days with the deluge of work. :( Still, taking short 5 mins break here and there, and discussing with readers about books and dramas does provide some relief :).

  In episode 4, Zhang Zhen is heading to the capital with his recently widowed mother (not actual mother, but aunt who had taken care of him since he was young and married his father after he died). Tang Xin runs after them and asks to follow them, since her uncle and auntie can't be bothered with her anyway. So, they all head off to the capital...






   I didn't really concentrate on the main storyline, but basically Zhang Zhen has a fiancee at birth, she is called Jin Mu Dan, the daughter of the Prime Minister and the most beautiful young lady in the capital (I thought that was way exaggerated though.) But Jin Mu Dan disdains Zhang Zhen who she sees as poor and of lower birth, and her desire is to marry the Crown Prince (but the Crown Prince is never in palace and travels a lot, so she doesn't know how he looks like).



  If it isn't obvious yet, I do not like Jin Mu Dan as a character at all. But, she has her own trajectory and attractiveness, and this was the prettiest picture of her I could find, because somehow she looks much older in the drama (photoshop?).



  In episode 4, Zhan Feng has a "meet cute" with Mu Dan in the temple. Zhan Feng is obviously attracted to Mu Dan's looks but Mu Dan isn't impressed since basically anyone who is not the Crown Prince is a zero to her.



 In episode five, our famous four that is Zhang Zhen, Hong Ling, Tang Xin and Zhan Feng are re-united! They are investigating another murder case in the capital, in which they think the man imprisoned to be executed is innocent (you can start to see the trend here right?).

  So, they are investigating the foot print. Tang Xin is asked to try the shoe and jump down from the window after Zhan Feng does it and Tang Xin is reluctant, she only agrees after Zhang Zhen promises her twenty buns (basically, her two loves in life are buns and money! Haha).




  Tang Xin complains that Zhan Feng has made the shoe smelly. Zhan Feng finds Tang Xin so slow in getting ready that he carries her up! Tang Xin is all, "Don't touch me!"



 Anyway, the most adorable thing is that Hong Ling goes to try the shoe and jump next. When she asks Zhan Feng to carry her up, he shakes his head and points to Zhang Zhen to carry her. Tang Xin (who has a crush on Zhang Zhen) says she will carry Hong Ling since guys and girls shouldn't touch each other. Then Zhan Feng turns to Hong Ling and shows her how to get up by herself. Tang Xin then cries, "Then why did you carry me!"

  Zhang Zhen and Hong Ling just kind of ignores the two. Haha. 

 So, after some investigation, they found the real murderer and brought the case to justice.

  In episode 7, Zhang Zhen sees Mu Dan dance and starts to like her.



Mu Dan is famous for her dancing, and she dances for the Empress Dowager. She almost falls and slips because of some pearls released by a rival, but is saved by Zhan Feng in a mask:


  They have a flirty scene afterwards where Zhan Feng asks if Mu Dan remembers him. I will admit that they have quite good chemistry, so as I watched the drama, I was always worried - oh no, is Mu Dan meant to be with Zhan Feng instead? :(


  Zhan Feng is a total tease and leans in as if he is going to kiss Mu Dan, but actually takes her hairpin instead. He says he has something important to do, and if he has her hairpin, even the yellow river (the implied meaning is that the river of death) won't be as lonely. He tells Mu Dan that he will return the pin after he finishes his mission.



 

  Later, Mu Dan meets the Empress Dowager who compliments her on her dancing. The Empress Dowager says she actually wanted to invite Mu Dan into the palace, but she just learned Mu Dan is engaged to Zhang Zhen. Mu Dan says it's a misunderstanding and is absolutely distraught because her one goal is to marry the Crown Prince and be the Crown Prince's Wife.



 That night, Zhan Feng gets injured and poisoned on his mission. Zhang Zhen quickly asks his mother to call a doctor and personally sucks out the poison. Tang Xin then takes care of Zhan Feng.




   Zhan Feng is in Zhang Zhen's mother's arms in the screenshot above, in case you think it's Tang Xin. Haha. Zhan Feng realises that Zhang Zhen was the one who personally sucked out the poison and saved his life. That is the look he gave to solidify their brotherhood forevermore!


Comments: In a lesser drama, the fact that two good male friends fall for the same female character will usually lead to them falling out and one turning to the dark side. *Yawns* Seen that, been bored with that for a thousand times. 

 So, this drama takes a really fresh and great approach! Mostly by talking about things and not being noble idiots (well most of the time anyways!) :) as we will see in the later parts!

18 comments:

  1. Hooray, new post, but so little interaction between the prince and Tang Xin. Decembi, do you know that Zhang Zhen, Zhan Feng and Hong Ling reunited again in drama called A wife secret, but ZF became an evil brother. The main character is Hawick and yiLing, the storyline is so complicated with evil mother in law, evil brother in law, and so on..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very little interactions at the earlier parts to recap. But, Jin Mu Dan is an important character for our couple, so I had to write in her background. But the next recap is SO SUPER CUTE. Guess who has to take care of our injured prince? :)

      OOOOH. I didn't know about this. But evil Zhan Feng :( nooooooo

      Delete
    2. Haha.. love how he fooled her later. They are my one and only reason watching this drama, really cannot stand the poor CG
      Actually Zhan Feng kinda cool in A wife secret, coz his leg is limp, so he used cane all the time (just imagine Yoo Seung Ho as Harry in Korean drama Missing You LOL).
      Btw, Have you watch Cuo Dian yuan yang? The main couple is really cute and sweet especially episod 26 till 50, just ignore some unreasonable plot, and enjoy their sweetness.

      Delete
    3. HAHAHA! Yes the CGI is so weird, especially the funny ocean scenes.

      Oooh does Zhan Feng get to redeem himself and get a love line?

      Nope! Heard about it and will definitely try it when I have the time. But I tend to dislike makjang and dramatic plots, more humour and character love for me! :)

      Delete
    4. I haven't finished watching A wife secret (55 episodes T-T).. I'm prefer funny and light romance drama. Cou Dian Yuan Yang consist of 2 series, episode 1-25 is about the main couple romance and their hardship, episode 26-50 is about the second brother and third brother romance (series 2 couple are kinda boring, but the main couple interaction is so natural and sweet in series 2, so basically i watch series 2 only for the main couple). viki already finished subbed this drama. So, please please give it a try, really curious about your comment hehe..

      Delete
    5. Oh wow 55 eps!!! I was quite impatient with mermaid legend's 36 eps already. I think they only had enough plot for about 24 eps max. Me too! I love light and funny romances. I shall check out the drama you recommended when I have time <3

      Delete
  2. agreed not much cute interactions between our second leads. actually i tried to watch the drama with my fingers on fast-forward button but i m pretty sure i missed a lot of their scene so i ll wait patiently your review. thanks you for your time recapping this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! Thanks for trying out the drama. It gets cuter and cuter as it goes! My favourite recap is part 6 (lol). I shall try and update as fast as I can <3

      Delete
    2. oh is that ep 18? I don't want to spoil so I will just say I think it was my favorite. I was first feeling sad for him and then the minute after I laughed so hard (his opera singing was just so funny) and then I was awwww sooo cute... and after that I was "stupid guy tell her!" and then hmmmm...just so much emotions in one episodes. no I can't spoil her but really can't wait your recap. huhuhu sorry I should say "take your time....

      Delete
    3. Not yet ep 18, still ep 17. Hahaha! Have not gotten a chance to recap since :(. Haha, oh I recapped in one go from part 1 to part 6. I will steadily post the recaps, hoping to convert more people on ou ships!

      Delete
    4. Oh you converted at least me. I watched all the episodes in one shot while doing my housechores and my homework .
      someone should just cut their part and make a drama only with them. they are so funny when they are bickering and so cute when they got back together and very efficient when they teamed up to find solution

      decembi thank you for doing this kind of recaps.:)

      Delete
    5. Yay successful conversion! :) I suspect that all the illogical dramatic angst was taken up by the main couple, leading only to awesome romantic fluff for the secondary couple! I agree, they are a killer combo! so much love to them must be shared! ;)

      Delete
  3. now that perfect couple has finished its airing, interested to check out this drama. from your heads-up, the story of the 2nd pairing sounds intetesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes!!! Do check it out. But er, the main couple is a hot mess and rather boring. Only the second couple is nice. :) My recaps are a cheat sheet on which episodes to watch lol.

      Delete
  4. Yey! I have finished skimming the whole drama last weekend for Zhan Feng and Tang Xin goodness. Master Qin is a nice surprise, Jin Mu Dan is a pain in the ass and I'm glad the actress playing her looks rather..um, mature, so I can dislike her more easily. Tang Xin looks very pretty in the second half. Thank you for the drama recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so so so so good right? It's rare to find such intelligent and fun fluff these days. They are my golden OTP

      Delete
    2. I like their realistic ending, I felt Tang Xin's pain when she has to change her beliefs but she made it and found her own happiness. Zhan Feng's acting is a little over-the-top most of the time, but he added some much needed fun to the goody-two-shoes Zhang Zhen. I'm going to check out Liu Shi Shi and Nicky's Wu "Xi Li Ren Shi" next.

      Delete
    3. I love Tang Xin! And, I love how their ending is happy and you are viewed with the conviction that they will be able to overcome any difficulties they will meet - including Zhan Feng's flirtyness! Zhang Zhen is so boring haha, the main couple is really (shakes head). Oh yes, that looks cute!

      Delete