Thursday, 12 June 2014

Fiction: Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission (Chapter 7)



   The feedback for Chapter 6 really encouraged me and made me want to share the second arc even more! I hope you enjoy Chapter 7, this new character is the one my husband likes. Haha.


Chapter 7: Don’t Put The Cart Before the Horse

Little Moon/ Yue

(i)

  After Uncle cleared my head, I suddenly felt like returning outside to see if Hsiao was still drinking.

   There he was still sitting by the pavilion quietly drinking the wine. Although Hsiao always looked effortless, there was a precision to all his movements – even the way he poured cup after cup of wine for himself. It was as if he never allowed himself to relax.

  As I walked towards Hsiao, he lifted up his head and looked in surprised at my sobriety.

   I smiled at him, “Still drinking?”

  Soft laughter appeared in Hsiao’s eyes, “Still standing?”

  “I, Yue, am not someone who falls drunk so easily,” I huffed as I sat down next to Hsiao on a bamboo stool.

  His eyes fell down on his cup of wine as he said, “It’s a luxury to be able to be drunk.”

  “That’s like a skinny person telling a fat person that it’s a luxury to be able to put on weight.”

  Hsiao laughed, he inclined his head to the side and his eyes stared at me. The gaze was slightly unnerving under the cool night breeze but I couldn’t turn away.

  “Tell me, great Fortune Teller, what makes a good Emperor?”

  At first I thought Hsiao was going to mock me again and I was going to bite back his tongue, but Hsiao’s question surprised me so much that I actually bit my tongue in shock.

  Hsiao laughed even more.

 I turned to glare at him, and noticed that his eyes seemed especially bright tonight. Perhaps, he was not as oblivious to the effects of wine as he wanted to portray.

  “Isn’t the answer obvious?” I laughed, “The heart.” As a probationary Moon Maiden whose job was to connect the hearts of people with a red thread, naturally the heart was my favourite human organ.

  For a moment, Hsiao’s eyes flickered with a glimpse of sadness, but just as I saw it the glimpse disappeared, “What is so good about a heart?”

  I reached out and pressed my hand on Hsiao’s chest. He did not move back though I felt a slight tremor of surprise flow through him. “A heart is not so easy to touch, even if you wanted to. You need real feelings to stir a heart.”

  Hsiao stared at me, “Then what makes you think I will be a good Emperor?”

  I thought of the three gold threads I had unknowingly destroyed and smiled, “You underestimate your own heart.”

(ii)

    After about a month of travel, including a pit stop at one town where Hsiao and I managed to save a beautiful young lady from being maligned for the death of her husband (yes, I will admit that Hsiao was forced to do most of the saving after I disastrously tried to plead for the young lady’s case to no avail), we had finally reached the fated spot below the snowy mountains of Xue (雪 snow).

  I had even made the effort to come an hour earlier before the fated meeting of Princess Bai Ying 白英)* of the Xue Mountain Tribe and Hsiao so that nothing would be left to chance.

  Hsiao gave me a strange look, “Why are we stopping in the middle of this mountain path? Shouldn’t we continue our way up the Xue Mountain?”

 I coughed nervously, “Let’s appreciate the scenery! Don’t you think it’s especially beautiful here?”

    Hsiao arched one of his eyebrows at me because we had been riding on the snowy mountain path for a while and the scenery was the same as it had been at the bottom of the mountain – everything was a sheet of white.

  “Yes, one must slow down and soak in the silence,” I nodded enthusiastically.

  However, before Hsiao could respond, the mountain suddenly rumbled. Wait, the mountain suddenly rumbled?




  Before either of us could speak again, large rocks and heaps of snow started to roll down the mountain peak. Wasn’t this an hour early?

  I was too shocked to say anything, and then Brown Beauty started to run! I saw Hsiao’s Black Beauty standing tall and remaining calm, while Brown Beauty started to gallop maniacally away from the rocks. I gasped as I held on as tightly to the reins as I could.

  My heart started to race as I recalled Uncle’s warning inside my mind. I was a very young goddess with weak spiritual powers, the further and longer young gods and goddesses moved away from the Heavenly Realm the weaker they will become, in truth, as the days passed, my powers were receding and my physical body was no stronger than that of a mortal. If I got seriously injured, it would pose great danger to my divine essence!

       I started to think furiously on how to stop Brown Beauty and considered if I should use the magic sun bead that Prince Sun once gave me. Xi Yang said that if I just broke the bead, no matter where I was, he would be able to find me (he had given it to me after I was almost killed by a demon once and he scoffed at my low spiritual abilities to protect myself). But, Uncle said not to let him find me!

 Suddenly, I felt warmth around my waist, someone had leaped onto my horse and pulled Brown Beauty smoothly to a halt. What extraordinary powers this person had!

  I happily turned around to give my thanks and was stunned to find myself face to face with a woman. She looked around twenty and her face was all angles, as if she was a beauty birthed from an arrow.

  I didn’t know if it was my imagination but her cheeks turned pink when I stared at her.

  A sinking realization fell in my heart. Princess Bai Ying? Wasn’t she supposed to rescue Hsiao instead?

  I was speechless as Hsiao suddenly arrived with Black Beauty. His face was deathly white and I had never seen him so distraught before, but he immediately calmed down when he saw I was fine on Brown Beauty.

  Hsiao didn’t even greet the lady beside me, but grabbed my hand, “Are you ok?”

  I nodded, still at a loss for words.

  Following behind Hsiao was a group of soldiers riding on horses, before I knew it, they immediately chorused, “We apologise for our incompetence, Princess Bai Ying. Good fortune that Your Highness is safe.”

  Princess Bai Ying appeared to scoff at the notion that she would not be safe (in this regard, she uncannily resembled Prince Sun) and waved her soldiers away.

  She turned to me with a smile, “Are you ok?”

  I was awkwardly in the middle of Princess Bai Ying and Hsiao, she sat behind me on the horse while Hsiao grabbed one of my hands.

   I gingerly nodded as I saw a beautiful pure white horse trotted towards Princess Bai Ying. That was probably her horse, which she had leaped from when she saved me.

   I had an uncomfortable premonition as I watched Princess Bai Ying and Hsiao warily scrutinize each other. Because I remembered one very clear thing about their fates – the Xue Mountain Tribe has one clear rule, to repay a saviour’s debt, if you are the same gender, you become sworn siblings, if you are not… you will 以身相许, devote your life back in love or servitude to the other person depending on his or her choice.

   Princess Bai Ying smiled brightly at me, “Let me bring both of you back to the royal palace to rest and recuperate. The weather is particularly bad these days and not suitable for traveling.”

  I continued to nod hesitantly. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to ask Princess Bai Ying to get down Brown Beauty because she seemed like she wanted to ride both of us back to the palace, and before I could even ask her about it, Hsiao got down his horse and placed both of his hands on my waist.

  I gasped as he lifted me down from the horse, “Princess Bai Ying, many thanks for saving my good brother’s life. He seems to be especially affected by the accident, so I shall ride with my brother back to your palace.”

  Hsiao smoothly lifted me up on Black Beauty and then swiftly got on behind me. When Black Beauty started to move forward, I awkwardly fell into Hsiao’s arms. I looked curiously at Hsiao as I felt the tension from his body subside upon our contact.

  Princess Bai Ying looked taken aback by Hsiao’s actions, but she nodded and quickly got off Brown Beauty. She got on her white horse and started to lead the way.

   I was about to cry, “What about Brown Beauty?” when at Hsiao’s glare, Brown Beauty started to sheepishly follow Black Beauty.

   As the three of us rode upwards with the soldiers following obediently behind, I sighed, whoever said the early bird catches the worm? I shouldn’t have come to the mountain one hour early!


白英 is made out of the words white (白) and ying (英) from the chinese words ying xiong (英雄) which means hero. Haha, so she's a white heroine! Haha. 




Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission!

Chapters: Prologue + 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
COMPLETED Author's Note 
Epilogues: An Chi Hsiao&Yue Xi Yang The Moon God

30 comments:

  1. This is my favorite chapter too! I see some jealousy from Hsiao, he must definitely know she is a girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I cannot speak for Hsiao here. :) Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha! Oh Yue...what a mess u got there...aside from Prince Sun, there's princess too ;)

    Thanks decembi for a morning.glee! *mwah*

    Great day to U!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samie? Haha. Yes, besides Prince Sun, there's a princess too! Lol

      Delete
    2. Got me there! ;)

      ♡ ya decembi *more mwah* will we all get more chapters? lol

      - samie

      Delete
    3. Hahaha! I will update this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Omg. I totally loved this! All because Princess Bai Ying seemed like a kickass princess and she's started to be infatuated with Yue Er! And who would expect that Hsiao would be jealous about that? If he already knew Yue Er is a girl, why would he be jealous of Princess Bai Ying? Laughing out loud. Everything is so unexpected that it makes it all the more lovely! I'm looking forward to all the sparks! Princess Bai Ying and Hsiao warily scrutinising each other instead of falling in love with each other at first sight is priceless. As well as the Xue Mountain Tribe rule. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha the Xue Mountain Tribe rule is a pretty hardcore rule when you think about it! Haha, truly their tribe is the survival of the fittest!

      I'm really happy you liked this! I was hoping people will like Princess Bai Ying because I think she's kick ass too. Hahaha.

      Delete
  4. Yue Er as always changing Hsiao's fate, now instead of Hsiao being rescued by Princess Bai Ying... it's her instead.

    I think Hsiao does feel Yue Er may be a girl disguised as a male, or else.. he mind will be going through internal struggles as we speak since I can smell vinegar from here XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinegar! Lol. Heehee. Yes, fate is always changing isn't it? :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much...the story line is maturing nicely. I am savouring the plot development and nuances. Your story is the first thing I read when I enter the office.
    LittleDi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, LittleDi, thank you, that makes me very happy. I will try my best! :)

      Delete
  6. Am enjoying reading this! the chapters are almost too short since it's so enjoyable... more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some chapters are longer and some are shorter haha, I try to let the chapters end naturally and I don't intentionally end at cliffhangers or anything, it's just that each chapter expresses one idea/point in the overarching plot. I so glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  7. oh decembi, it's sweet and hilarious:D
    i love their conversation. my fav quote is “A heart is not so easy to touch, even if you wanted to. You need real feelings to stir a heart.” <3
    Yue! what are you doing?! lol, this reckless, silly and innocent heroine XD
    oh my, i can't imagine what will happen next. will she disclose her disguise?
    decembi, i wish you write hsiao POV .... i'm curious about what he's thinking when he saw bay ying save yue :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, me too! I love their nightly conversations under the Moon and always chuckle at myself with Yue thinking her uncle is chaperoning them.

      Hahaha, think of Hsiao's deathly white face.

      Delete
  8. thx decembi...

    yue er oh yue er....what mess of fate you've created

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, the tangled webs we weave!

      Delete
  9. I like the rugged feel of the snowy wilderness and the picture accentuated the air perfectly! I also like the rivarly between Hsiao and Bai Ying and thought their kind of upmanship is very romantic - for Hsiao and Yue Er, that is not Hsiao and Bai Ying. 一身相许 should be 以身相许?

    I am not sure it it is the story or someone commented on the accidental mess that Yue Er created on the 3 threads, but I got a feel that the mess was destined to happen or else the threads are simply too fragile at Moon God palace. This could also be so given all the folklores of people being tied with the wrong thread but somehow, I believe these 3 threads were meant to be disrupted for little Yue Er to find her own destiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, sharp of you! I shall edit the yi. Hahaha. Teehee, I love everyone's theories. I must keep my lips sealed. <3

      Delete
  10. Hi decembi,
    I love this chapter! What a cool princess! I was expecting Prince Sun to come save the day, not her. Can't wait to see how Yue Er is going to try to fix this new mess. I'm convinced her karmic retribution is to trade her imortality for a mortal life together with Hsiao. Is that so?! At least I hope so...she will discover what love actually is by falling in love herself and being with the person she loves.
    Thank you dear decembi for making me smile so early in the morning:))
    Hope you're recovering nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, Xue has an eternal winter so it's hard for Prince Sun to detect Yue here. Yes, I hope Yue discovers love too. Thanks so much for your support, it gives me great encouragement :)

      Delete
  11. Because I remembered one very clear thing about their fates – the Xue Mountain Tribe has one clear rule, to repay a saviour’s debt, if you are the same gender, you become sworn siblings, if you are not… you will 一身相许, devote your life back in love or servitude to the other person depending on his or her choice.

    Luckily for Little Moon, she doesn't need to use her body as payment if she reveals her gender? :D
    Wonder when Hsiao will find out that Little Moon is really a girl.

    I read the Prologue and Chapter 1 again and have some thoughts.

    Actually Little Moon is kind of helping Hsiao on the way to becoming the future emperor - they brought Mei Yun and Yun Feng together and for that their eternal gratitude. Also, Yun Feng seems like he can become a capable court official if given the chance. If Little Moon becomes sworn sisters with Princess Bai Ying, that's another connection Hsiao will have.

    Perhaps the golden threads are not necessarily a marriage of Hsiao and the three women? Maybe Little Moon herself is the golden thread linking Hsiao to the the three women. Perhaps this is the fate that Uncle Moon and Prince Sun were mentioning. Haha I just had a funny thought regarding the dots and accounting. The dots turning black may not be a bad thing - to be 'in the red' means that she is in debt to Fate/Destiny but when she accomplishes one mission, she's now 'in the black', generating good positive karma!

    Haha hope you don't mind my ramblings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemonsalt, you write very well. Hahaha. Like I told Moonblossom, I love everyone's thoughts. I have embedded small clues in each chapter that will lead to what I have ultimately planned. My lips are sealed for now <3

      Delete
  12. The mention of Yue Er 's power getting weaker as she stays longer in the mortal realm could perhaps lead to her in becoming a real mortal. Would there be an event that will make her forget that she once lived as a maiden moon? I just thought that somehow she has to have a background of her mortal self ie. family she came from although in the story, she introduced herself as a fortune teller. But wouldn't it be weird to live a life knowing who you are in past?

    Thanks again Decembi for keeping us hooked to your story. So many possibilities and hijinks that could happen along the way and am really glad how the plot thickens. I feel like a child waiting for her promised favourite treat!!!

    Xi Yang, you better appear in the next chapter so I can happily root for you. Despite Yue Er's abilities to see the love thread that connects other people, it seems that she doesn't know where her love thread is connected. Is it because she's unaware of this feeling and was not expecting to be paired making her unable to see it?

    I love how Hsiao is having some sort of competition with Princess Bai Ying. She is badass and a real woman of action. Hsaio has to up the game. If I were a man and Yue Er looks like the person in the picture you've posted, I'd be mesmerized as well not to mention being curious about the intrigues that surround her. A male looking so much like a female? Hmmm, better stay close to this person to get the real deal.

    Peachie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peachie,

      Yes, sharp of you to notice! :) In my fantasy world, young/weak gods/goddesses (almost like fairies/immortals but differentiated when they are direct relations of Great Gods) will become weak like mortals when they stay away too far from the heavenly realms due to a lack of divine essence, but that does not necessarily make them mortal. :) Heheh, my lips are sealed.

      Moon Maidens can only see love threads between mortals, and even their abilities differ. :)

      I love your comment about Yue Er. Hahhaa.

      Delete
  13. 以身相许 - that's a pretty "harsh" rule for the saved person. I am wondering how Yue is going to get out this rule if the princess insists Yue marries her. Well, Yue is considered handsome as a male - a bishounen. But I believe, Bai Ying is a princess who treasures inner beauty than outer beauty... Im wondering if she has someone that she likes (like Yun Feng).

    Endure, endure for the next chapter. Hahaha, Im awake to watch the World cup match o_O...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's more background on the tribe in the next chapter :), which may give you an idea of what kind of tribe creates such a rule. Hahaha. Endure, endure <3 thank you! I will also endure, endure and update.

      Delete
  14. After reading all these chapters till now there are few points caught my eyes & from my point of view these points can be interconnected (all of these are just my thoughts) -

    (A) It can be possible that Prince Sun is Hsiao according some points:

    (1) There is an indication of Hsiao not being a mortal – it’s Hsiao’s tolerancy power of alchohol as a mere mortal which is superior than a God, Yue Er which is unusual:

    # Thought in Yeu Er/Little Moon's mind - "You would think a god’s alcohol tolerance would be better than a mortal’s, but I failed to make Hsiao drunk again.
    Uncle flicked my forehead, “Who asked you to drink so much alcohol?” I looked downcast for a moment, “I thought I could make Hsiao drunk so that I could ask him personal questions. But who knew that I would get drunk first!” Uncle chuckled, “You can’t win Hsiao by these little tricks.” (Chapter 6)

    (2) These 3 conversations can be related to each other internally if you think deeply and tells about the Prince Sun who is with Yue Er in the mortal world right now:

    # Thought in Hsiao's mind - "At first, I was mildly perturbed that a strange young man dressed up in white fortune telling garb had appeared in the remote place I had picked to meet Big Brother’s assassins, but now any mild irritation was replaced with amusement." (chapter 1)

    # Little Moon/ Yue Er's Uncle said - "Anyway, I came down to tell you that Prince Sun will be coming to find you soon. I managed to speak to the Jade Emperor to command him to go take care of some stray monsters, but I doubt that will delay him for long." (Chapter 6)

    #Thought in Hsiao's mind - "At first I followed Yue out of amusement and curiosity to see whether he was related to or sent by my Big Brother, but nothing about Yue made sense." (Chapter 2)

    (3) There is clear indication about Hsiao’s “Prince type characteristics”,”Strong martial skills” & “Good reciting skills” which can be found in a person with strong position from a powerful/noble family.
    (i) Conversation between Hsiao & Yue Er: “I will be your fiftieth customer,” Hsiao said, and sat down elegantly on my stool, as if he was not sitting in a temple street that was starting to close, but sitting in a grand palace hall. (Chapter 6)
    (ii) when Hsiao let loose the arrow smoothly as if it was but a fleck of dust on his shoulder. Before I could even react, his arrow sliced into General Yang’s arrow. I turned to look at Hsiao, and that was when I realized he had not even been looking at the arrow. He was looking at me. (Chapter 4)
    (iii) Thought in Hsiao's mind - "I did not know whether to laugh or cry. Yue asked me to brush up on my poetry! Did he know who I was? If he didn’t, why did he think I had a chance to become the Emperor? If he did, why would he ask me to brush up on my poetry?” (Chapter 2)

    (4) Just think, if Hsiao is The Sun Prince & at this time instead of helping her immediately he just waited to check whether Yue Er used his magic sun bead to ask for him to help her and then Hsiao will be sure that Yue Er is Little Moon:

    # Thought in Yeu Er/Little Moon's mind - "I was too shocked to say anything, and then Brown Beauty started to run! I saw Hsiao’s Black Beauty standing tall and remaining calm, while Brown Beauty started to gallop maniacally away from the rocks.
    I started to think furiously on how to stop Brown Beauty and considered if I should use the magic sun bead that Prince Sun once gave me. Xi Yang said that if I just broke the bead, no matter where I was, he would be able to find me (he had given it to me after I was almost killed by a demon once and he scoffed at my low spiritual abilities to protect myself). But, Uncle said not to let him find me!” (Chapter 7)

    Sorry about my rambling. All of these are just my inner thoughts after reading all of these chapters.

    HannaH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hannah,

      Aww thank you for putting so much thoughts in the chapters and thinking about the connections. :) <3 It makes me very happy. Haha, I cannot comment on the theory for now, my lips are sealed. But a lot will be revealed in the second arc!

      Delete