Friday, 13 February 2015

Heavy Sweetness Ash-Like Frost: Translation (Chapter 21.3: The Male Phoenix and the Female Phoenix)



   Early valentine day's present from me! 


Chapter 21: The Male Phoenix and the Female Phoenix (Part 3 of 5)

  I suddenly recalled how everyone said that his looks were unparalleled in the six realms. Previously, I never had that feeling, but suddenly today I realised that he was indeed unfathomably good looking.

  But, I should hate him, hate him very deeply. I should feel that he is the ugliest person in the world, shouldn't I? His parents murdered my mother, he killed my father, even before he died he did not forget to put a voodoo spell on me. Yes, I should hate him, grit my teeth, beat my chest, hate him with my all.

  "Beauty, you really did a great deed! He deserves to be killed! Truly deserves to be killed!" Master Pu Chi's brainless words brought me back from my thoughts, "All the men more good looking than me deserve to be killed! After having been revived, his looks cannot be tolerated! All men and gods are infuriated!"

  I was rendered speechless.

  Master Pu Chi lowered his head and spoke to me in a soft voice, "I heard that it is the Sixth King of Hell that helped this person revive. It is said that he only trusts the Sixth King of Hell now. Presently, both of them control the Demon Realms, with one hand they can flip the clouds, with the other they can cover the rain."

  I watched as the carriage slowly pulled away and repeated Master Pu Chi's words mindlessly, "Ah, two people daily flipping the clouds and covering the rain (*it sounds like people tumbling in bed).

   But who knew that before my words finished, the surrounding demons and ghouls had turned their heads towards my head that was peeking out of Master Pu Chi's robes. Their expressions were shocked. Master Pu Chi forced out a smile towards the crowd, "My rabbit sprite likes to see spring palace pictures (*basically amorous pictures - the connotation is that the rabbit was saying a sexual expression), it only just learned to speak, just learned to speak..." All the demons' faces darkened and turned away.

  Far away, the carriage suddenly stopped and someone turned back his head. Master Pu Chi quickly lowered his head with the crowd.

  The person's gaze slowly swept through the throngs of demons, but luckily missed the spot that we were in.

  After a moment, he kept his gaze and suddenly broke out into a smile. The smile was truly bone-chilling.

  The carriage started to move away and it left into the far distance.

  Master Pu Chi carried me, and the Nightmare Beast followed after. He rushed out of the Demon Realms, as if he was rushing for reincarnation. Only after he crossed the River of Forgetfulness did he stop to take a breath of air.

  I jumped out of his robes and transformed back to my original state. I saw that Master Pu Chi's forehead was soaked with sweat.

  "Beauty, your phrase of 'flipping the clouds and covering the rain' almost got us killed," Master Pu Chi sat on the ground and fanned himself.

  I was stunned, "Weren't they your words?"

  Master Pu Chi's brows flicked, "I said, 'turn the hand upwards to become a cloud, turn the hand downwards for rain'. Your phrase is for mutual cultivation, my phrase is about power, they differ by far. Money can be saved, but words cannot!"

  I finally stopped my addiction towards sweets, but started a new addiction.

  Since that day when I saw Phoenix again, I would frequently take the opportunity to go to the Demon Realms when Night was busy. I would always transform into a rabbit using those bunny ears to cover my heavenly aura. My disguise was never seen through by anyone.



 After a while, my courage increased and I sneaked into his residence. Despite entering and exiting many times, I was not caught once by even a little ghost. I thought that no one would notice a small, very small, rabbit sprite.

  Although I went frequently, but the times I saw him were very few. Even when I saw him, he was always surrounded by many demons. I was scared of being detected so I never dared to go forward, only gazing from afar. Even just gazing from afar, even just one glance, it gave me such joy as if I just gained five thousand years of divine essence.

  I like to visit when he was reading his official papers. He was different from Night, he would not read during the night, but study the papers during the hours of "yi".* This is usually the time when Night is most busy and I had the greatest chance of sneaking out. What's more his study faced a garden of flowers, since my natural self had the scent of flowers and wood, it was very safe for me to hide in the flowers and grass. So often, I would secretly hide under the strong wooden stems of the Phoenix Flowers, peeking through the gaps between the flowers and leaves, and watch the blood red sky of the Demon Realms reflect on his slightly pale side profile.

  When he perused the official papers, he would be extremely quiet. His eyes would fully focus on the words, sometimes his brows would lightly lift up. That strong nose, that half closed eyes, that slightly raised lips...... all these created an extraordinary silhouette. But, I knew this peace was an illusion that was easily broken, it was an illusion that only appeared when there were no souls and only paper and ink. Once he left the official papers, those two eyes would become like a deep well with no water, so dark it was frightening, his surrounding aura was cold and piercing, it overwhelmed people until they could not breathe. No one dared to look in his eye. Everywhere he went, there were only large groups of nervous and anxious demons and ghouls.

 He approved the papers very quickly, but never hastily. His long slim fingers flipped page after page, sometimes his fingers would pick up one or two drops from the ink that had not dried. The black ink fell on his almost translucent finger tips, it gave one a deceptive impression that even if one was a piece of paper or a drop of black ink, one will be very blissful.

   But, he did not approve papers everyday. And, I was not always able to leave the Heavenly Realms everyday. Sometimes, I had to wait for him at places surrounding his residence instead. Sometimes, I will be waiting outside the big door of his residence to watch his carriage move away in the distance. Sometimes, I was able to watch him from where he was eating, seeing him just place down his chopsticks to rise. Sometimes, I was able to hide in a corner of his residence and see him calm down after a brutal killing, sometimes I can see beautiful seductive demon maidens holding him from left and right as he entered the inner hall, in the dark of the night, he would walk out with his face blissful and his robes untidy......

*This is around 9-11 am.

Comments: I have honestly SO MUCH to say, but I think no matter how I craft it, it will sound very spoiler-ish. 

Now, I didn't mean to end the chapter here, and I really wanted to finish Chapter 21, but there's still a whole chunk more (at least the length of this update already). I will see if I can finish it by the end of the week. 

But, my gosh, THE FEELS. 


   


  

53 comments:

  1. hahah thanks decembi! Oh no, such a sad chapter of her pining after him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome ♡ her pining is rather adorable right?

      Delete
  2. thanks, she is so in love... can't wait for the next one... marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome ♡ she's so in love that there's absolutely no turning back for her

      Delete
  3. He totally knows she's stalking him doesn't she? Thats why no one catches her and she thinks shes being so smart finding convenient hiding places undetected. decembi why did you leave off there!?!?! ....so cruel :( I can't wait until their actual interaction!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, didn't mean to be cruel but if I didn't update now, there will be a longer wait! I think there are pretty obvious hints he knows and it's really adorable how jin mi likes to watch him work when she used to complain abt being his book boy hahaha

      Delete
  4. Hi Decembi!

    Thank you so much for the new chapter! Good Job! :D

    Btw, I just hope that Phoenix still remembers JinMi. I hate how the bird princess was taking all credits for reviving Phoenix... And I hope that Night will accept his 'no fate' destiny with JinMi with open heart and mind.

    Boy, why couldn't JinMi free herself from the thought on being voodoo-ed by Phoenix? Couldn't she think it as love instead? Master PuChi! Teach her some of your knowledge on love! :D

    -hh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome ♡

      I think that reasoning allows her to 'guiltlessly' stalk her sworn enemy. Also, it's in no one's interest to teach her otherwise!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sad chapter. I can hardly wait for them to meet. Thank you for the lovely translation. Such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome ♡ thanks for the support. I think Jin Mi does deserve this and I feel like it's her redemptive arc.

      Delete
  7. So sad. I guess he felt the same sort of pain and betrayal when she "killed" him.

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably thousand times worse! Jin Mi manipulated his love for her :(

      Delete
  8. That last sentence...... Am I reading too much into it? I believe in him lol. Thank you decembi !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh JinMi... so hopelessly inlove and I think Phoenix enjoys her stalking.

    aimey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee personally I think a little rabbit following you everywhere is the most adorable thing ever

      Delete
  10. THEM FEELS indeed decembi! Thank you for the update! But that last bits.. Dont go breaking my heart now Phoenix T_T

    Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lola! Hold on tight to your heart till the journey ends!

      Delete
  11. thks for the valentine treat... i m holding my breath till your next translation by this week. beautiful development between them ... silent and yet so meaningful... if only she realizes that this is love and longing .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm not so sure I can get it out by this weekend. But, it should be up by Wednesday/Thursday.

      I agree - silent yet meaningful, I love how Dian Xian makes us interpret the signs......

      Delete
  12. Decembi, this is Khue-Tu in my blog account form~

    "Beauty, you really did a great deed! He deserves to be killed! Truly deserves to be killed!" Master Pu Chi's brainless words brought me back from my thoughts, "All the men more good looking than me deserve to be killed! After having been revived, his looks cannot be tolerated! All men and gods are infuriated!"

    HAHAHAHA, I understand master Pu Chi's frustration. :P

    Does Phoenix remember Jin Mi and what she did to him? Also, if you had to choose an actor to play Phoenix, who would you choose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Khue-Tu! Little Winter is a lovely name!

      Hahaha Master Pu Chi is hilarious.

      *SPOILER* Phoenix does not have amnesia. He remembers that Jin Mi stabbed him* END SPOILER*

      I think I once said I like Wallace Huo for Night and Hu Ge for Phoenix heeheehee.

      Delete
    2. Really?! I read thought I read something with you mentioning Wallace Chung instead lol.

      Delete
    3. Wallace Chung? Haha. I am totally fine with Wallace Chung as an actor, but I'm a greater fan of Wallace Huo (cos he is so pretty haha).

      Delete
    4. Me likely with both your choices of actors. Methinks the roles given could go either way and it'll work for me. Both are easy on the eyes. Heh!

      Delete
    5. Totally agree! Wallace Huo and Hu Ge have pretty similar auras.

      Delete
  13. it is impossible for phoenix to miss jin mi just like that
    she also visits him not only once,
    I'm frustrated with this 'love but should hate'

    thank you decembi

    -mango-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome mango! Thanks for reading.

      One of the things that needs to be resolved in the last few chapters is - 'Who killed the Water God?'

      Delete
  14. Hi,

    I don't usually write comments but felt that I had to give you credit and show my deep appreciation for your hard work. I have been stalking your site for the past 5 months and have loved all of your translations and original stories. Thank you for providing these great stories to readers like me, who cannot read Chinese.

    --Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kris,

      Aww thanks for leaving a comment. It always means a lot to me to read from my readers.

      Thank you for giving support to my translations and original stories. It's a great joy for me to share with like-hearted people <3

      Delete
  15. Hi Decembi,

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    It has been some time since the last visit to your blog. Alot of catching up to do ;)

    Although it has been some time since I have last read Heavy Sweetness, I'm still amazed by how good the story and the writing is. Your translation really captures the beauty of Dian Xian's writing.

    Regarding the last sentence, I would like to think that nothing has happened. However since Phoenix and Jin Mi are not in any relationship at this stage and their last face to face meeting ended on a bitter note. But still I would prefer if the fictional male lead would 守身如玉. I think luckily for Jin Mi, she may not really realize the implications since she hasn't realized her true feelings yet.

    Cheers,
    Lemonsalt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentine's Day, Lemonsalt! Wonderful to hear from you. I hope you are doing well <3

      Awww, thanks for your kind comment. I enjoy the challenges of translating Dian Xian. I think sometimes it's harder to convey what she is writing because she has a way of punning on words and using very 'chinese' concepts that is harder to express in english, but it has been a good experience so far.

      I think Jin Mi is in for an awakening. Shall not elaborate to not be spoiler-ish!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the translation and happy Valentine's Day!!!

    Oh my, my... I love how she is pining for him... It was about time! I need them to meet again... soon! It's going to be epic and there is no way that Phoenix wouldn't make her suffer for what she did... His heart and his pride took quite a blow, no?

    You commented earlier "One of the things that needs to be resolved in the last few chapters is - 'Who killed the Water God?'" I don't believe it's Phoenix. He loves Jin Mi too much for that, and he always showed how filial he was. There is no way he would have killed Jin Mi's father who is a good God. Killing the father of your beloved doesn't exactly scream "I love you". Plus, what would he gain from it anyway? Phoenix has always been bluntly honest in his actions... I just don't see him secretly killing the Water God... And if he did, he would be the first to tell Jin Mi as it fits more his character. Honestly, Night is so hard to read and is way more likely to be the killer than Phoenix...

    All I want is for Phoenix and Jin Mi to have their happily ever after... That's the only conflict resolution I crave... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy valentine's day! :)

      Technically, they have met. Time and time again. Haha.

      I don't know if this is spoilerish, but these were my views when I read the story. I also did not believe that Phoenix killed Water God. There was no real motivation for him to do so considering that the Water God was not consciously objecting to Phoenix and Jin Mi being together when Phoenix's feelings were not publicly made known yet - Jin Mi herself being engaged with Night, and Phoenix investigating on Night's plan to overthrow the previous Heavenly Emperor. The reality is definitely much more complicated (but probably not by much) than what has been presented.

      Happily ever after definitely <3

      Delete
    2. That is true. Please allow me to clarify. I am eager to see their confrontation! lol

      Delete
    3. Hahaha confrontation indeed ;)

      Delete
  17. Thank you for your translation and happy valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Valentine! A good place to stop all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentine's Day ♡ hahaha i agree

      Delete
  19. Happy Valentine's Day, decembi. I feel like Jin Mi the Lurker. :) I've actually commented a few times, but keep getting my comments deleted because I always forget to use Firefox when I want to comment. (Safari is my default browser, and my comments keep getting deleted when I use Safari to comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy V day, dear Melanie! ♡ always so happy to hear from you. I wonder if you like Phoenix more now teehee?

      Delete
  20. Wow, after reading this, it totally blew my mind. No, more importantly, it gave an idea for a story about a carrot. I've already typed a page about the myths and truths of a carrot. Is that weird or what?
    (- . -) (Don't get me wrong, this is my typical smiling face.) --squinty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot. Happy V-day and SAD! --sq

      Delete
    2. Happy v day! HEE the story of the carrot sounds interesting. Do write it!

      Delete
    3. Right now, it's currently about a slightly vengeful carrot fairy who ventures into the human realm, who meets her dead rabbit friend who thought she was a guy at first (which s/he also is), who defeats an evil demon pedocult, has a lot of gender issues, food issues, heavy sweetness-inspired density, and some serious carrot issues. Currently, i just wrote the part about burying the bandits alive and eating her own kin under the reason 'better-me-than-anyone-else.' I'm thinking about tossing a daikon into the frying pan as well.

      Hmm... Would it be too confusing to call the daikon white carrot? --sq

      Delete
    4. My first reply got lost!

      Haha sounds funny. I like the phrase 'heavy sweetness-inspired density'. Yes, it will probably be too confusing to have carrot and white carrot

      Delete
  21. Phoenix got a rabbit stalker. :)

    ReplyDelete