Saturday, 5 September 2015

Our Second Master (我们家二爷) by Twentine (HE) (Chapter 7) (Part 4 of 4) (THE END)



We have come to the last chapter and it has so many of my favourite moments. I wish Second Master and Little Monkey - the greatest and simplest of happiness. 


Chapter 7: The End


But I told him, "Second Master, I cannot stay."


  Second Master's hand was always covering his eyes. After hearing my words, he did not open his mouth, he did not lower his hand.
 
  I said, "Second Master, you should tell the housekeeper all that needs to be done. If not, I'm afraid he would not be able to take care of you properly."

  Second Master did not move. So, I acted on my own accord to call the housekeeper over. The housekeeper's hands laid weakly by his side as he stood in one corner. I told him, "Housekeeper, you must remember what I am going to tell you."

  The housekeeper nodded his head, "What does Miss wants to say?"

  I said, "Second Master's leg is about fully healed, but his leg will hurt on cold and rainy days. You must prepare a hot towel in advance to press on the leg. There's a medicinal shop called 'Return to Spring Hall' on the old street we lived, although it's a small shop, but the practitioners there are very skilled. All these years they have been taking care of Second Master's leg, if there are any problems, you should go there."

  "The bamboo pole for the leg has to be changed every three months. The carpenters in the city know the exact measurements. You cannot use soft silk to cover the leg because it won't hold, you have to use rough cloth. For Second Master's clothes, the left robe sleeve needs an additional layer, I have already left the pants' measurements to Old Mistress."

  "......"

  "Second Master isn't picky with food but he likes strong flavours. For health reasons, he should not eat spicy food. You have to tell the kitchen to minimise putting chilli when cooking."

  "You have to be more conscious at night - when Second Master can't fall asleep, he likes to drink alcohol in the yard. But, you can't let him drink too much. Don't disturb him, secretly hide behind the house to watch him, don't let him get too sad...... housekeeper?" I just said a few words and saw that there were lines of tears on the housekeeper's face and he was kneeling down.

  "Miss --" I did not know what happened to the housekeeper. Previously when Old Master Yang was around, I never realised that he liked to cry so much. I turned my head and was thinking of getting the Second Master to say a few words to comfort the housekeeper but Second Master was still in the same position and unmoving. 

  I suddenly felt like I had returned to a few years ago, when Second Master just returned home after his injury, that image of him not being able to live and yet not being able to die. I shook Second Master and asked, "Second Master, what happened to you?"





  Second Master did not move, his palm still covering his eyes, only exposing a pair of tightly clenched lips. Housekeeper added by the side, 'Since Miss left, Master has not eaten for three days." My eyes widened and I asked Second Master, "Second Master, why are you not eating?"

 The housekeeper kowtowed his head towards me and then rose up, he said, "Miss, I'm old and cannot remember all these things. You should remember them yourself." After he finished speaking, he walked away.

  I was shocked dazed. You can be a housekeeper acting like this? 

  "Little Monkey..." Second Master opened his mouth, I hurriedly turned my attention to him. I asked, "Second Master, what do you want to eat? I will tell the kitchen to prepare." 

 Second Master appeared to think for a while and then he said, "Noodles."

  "Can do! Please wait." I flew to the kitchen to get a bowl of noodles. On my way to the kitchen, when everyone looked at me, their gazes were intensely earnest. I was infected by these bursts of warmth and my heart thought that no matter what method I used, I must get Second Master to swallow the noodles. I thought back about how when Second Master was not willing to eat previously, I had even used force.

  Ah, but I can't use that method now since with Second Master's current strength, he could easily break me. Still, this time, Second Master was exceptionally cooperative, when I passed him the bowl of noodles, he quickly ate it. Seeing that he had the strength to eat, my heart relaxed. Second Master stopped after a few mouthfuls, he looked at the bowl and asked in a low voice, "Do you remember how we ate noodles previously?"

  I said that I remembered. When he returned late, we often sat in the kitchen eating noodles together. Although these were still noodles, now the bowls were made of jade porcelain. 

 Second Master said, "In the days when you were gone, I kept thinking about this bowl of noodles."

  I said, "If Second Master like to eat noodles, you can order the housekeeper." Why would you keep yourself hungry?

  Second Master laughed bitterly for a moment and replied, "Sometimes, I really don't know if you are truly stupid or pretending to be stupid."

  I did not speak. Second Master leaned on the bedside and said lightly, "Last year, I was on a trip to Jiangsu when I encountered a huge rainstorm. The merchant group was trapped in the mountains and not able to leave." I did not know why Second Master suddenly spoke of this to me but I quietly listened.

  Second Master slapped his leg and looked at me, he said, "At that time, my bamboo pole was gone and I had to walk bare. At night, when we hid in the caves, it was so cold that it could take our lives. The group was worried that we would just die like this so we conversed with each other to bolster our morale. At that time, the person next to me asked, 'You are already like this, why did you come out?' I told him that I came out to earn money. That person laughed and said, 'That's true. If it was not for money, who would be willing to suffer the difficulties of traveling far.' I then told him that I came out to earn money, but it was not for money. He asked me what I meant..."

  As Second Master recalled the incident, he lightly stroke his leg and his voice was very calm. "I told him, after I lost my leg, I reflected on my life and felt that there was no more meaning and had intended not to live anymore. But one day, I suddenly realised that there was still one person in this world who was willing to risk her life for a disabled man like me. But that person was stupid to death, so I thought again, if I just died like this, what would happen to her?" 

 "To be treated like a treasure by a useless man, was still useless. So I told myself, I must rise up, become a man standing above men. Even thought I was only half a man now, I had to raise her up."

  "I was willing to bear any difficulties, I stayed outside under the stars and moon, ate in the wilderness, drank the cold wind and swallowed the sand, but just as long as I thought of her enjoying life in Hangzhou, my heart was comfortable and I could continue on my journey."

  I did not know when but Second Master's eyes had reddened, so red that I did not dare to give him another look. "Little Monkey......" He pulled my hand, bent his waist and asked beside my lowered face, "Do you know what I regret most in this life?"

  I forcefully shook my head, I did not know, I did not know anything. Second Master answered in a trembling voice, "That I didn't remember you."

 Second Master pulled my hand and placed it on his chest. His hot tears rolled onto my wrist and I felt like my heart was being pressed so unbearably that I wanted to die. "Master is most regretful that I did not remember you."

  He took my hand to beat his chest again and again. "You stayed in my courtyard for two years, and yet I actually cannot remember you. I can even remember how many fake hills and ponds I had in my courtyard, but I cannot remember you. The only person in my life that did not forsake me, and yet I could not remember her. Tell me, are you lying to me, did you really stay in my courtyard?"

  I suddenly felt so indignant that I wanted to die. I burst into tears, "I did not lie to you. I stayed! I stayed --!" Second Master hugged me in one go and said in a low voice, "You didn't lie to me, I know you didn't lie to me. Now, my comeuppance has arrived. Previously when I had you, I did not see you. Now that I wanted to see you, you want to leave. Little Monkey, do you want Master to go on living?"

  I continued to wail. Second Master smelled very good - clean and a little warm. I cried for half a day and fell asleep in Second Master's embrace. When I woke up, I realised that Second Master had also fallen asleep. His body leaned sideways with his arms around me.

  When I moved just a little, Second Master's grip tightened and his eyes opened. I was only a little inexperienced monkey, this was the first time I had woken up in a man's embrace. I struggled to try and preserve my modesty. Second Master's arms were like metal hoops and I could not break free. I told Second Master to let go. 

  Second Master looked at me, his face expressionless as he asked, "If I let you go and you leave, is Second Master to crawl and chase after you?"

   I stopped moving. After all, Second Master's embrace was very wide and warm. 

  After laying for a while, I spoke in a small voice, "I don't want to be a concubine maid."

  Second Master gave a soft laugh on top of my head, "Why?"

  I said, "A concubine maid will be kicked......" That was what I saw last time.

  Second Master didn't seem to understand the deep meaning of my words, he thought for a while and asked, "Are you saying I will hit you?"

  After he finished, he quickly added, "Previously, I did not hit any concubine maids."

  I nodded, "Yes, Second Master only hit me."

  Second Master's arms stiffened, "What?"

  I rose my head to look at him and told him about how he used to vent his anger on monkey me. Second Master's face completely blackened and he bit his teeth as he said, "Impossible! Impossible for me to hit you!"

  I felt that Second Master did not believe me so again I carefully repeated all the incidents. How he kicked, how he pushed, even slapped. Second Master's face turned even blacker as he listened, his whole body shuddered as he sat up, I saw that his gaze actually carried traces of fear. "So... so you actually hate me right? Because I hit you before, you hate me right......" This was the first time I saw Second Master being so frantic, he turned around and I thought he wanted to take his crutch, but he actually fell forward in one go.

  I hurriedly cried out "Second Master" but he had already fell to the floor. I rushed down the bed and saw that his leg was already hurt by the fall. I wanted to go out and find medicine but Second Master pulled my hand, "Don't go, Little Monkey, don't go." 

  Second Master crouched on the ground, not caring how he looked as he held onto my hand in a death grip. "You can hit me back, hit me, hit me back." 

  I finally realised what he was doing. I bent down and supported Second Master's shoulders and carried him back to the bed. I told him, "Second Master, the previous matters have already passed, you should forget them."

  Second Master lowered his head, his expression one of deep pain. My silly monkey brain suddenly had a flash of inspiration, I felt that this was a good opportunity and quickly added, "Second Master, I don't want to be a maid used for bedroom matters."

  Second Master's head was still lowered and he answered in a low voice, "Then how about a mistress used for bedroom matters."

  I was dazed, what is a mistress used for bedroom matters? I carefully asked, "Second Master, this mistress used for bedroom matters... how many are there?"

  Second Master forcefully lifted his head and glared at me cruelly, "How many mistresses did the Yang Manor have previously?!"

  I thought about it and answered, "Only one mistress, only one mistress." I thought I was making myself more confused when I suddenly realised what Second Master meant.

  Second Master saw that my monkey gaze brightened and knew that I had finally understood. He let out a dismissive breath of air and turned his head away. I looked at him and said, "Second Master, your face is so red."

  Second Master turned back and gave me a cold smile. I immediately knew that troubles were going to arise from my happiness.

  Indeed. In the next moment, Second Master lightly pushed me down and I laid on the bed like a dead monkey. Second Master came onto me and lightly leaned on my body. I nervously asked him, "Second Master, your... what's the scent from your body?" Why did it smelt so nice?

  Second Master looked at me and said lightly, "The scent of a man." I did not dare to speak anymore.

  That day, I personally experienced what the previous concubine maids had spoke of being "so good one ascended to heaven". It was really ascending to heaven. But what deserved to be pitied was that I was no longer an innocent monkey. I watched Second Master peacefully sleep next to me, he had kept asking me, when was the first time I saw him but I said I had forgotten.

  Actually, I lied. How could I forget that day? He wore a robe of white, sitting in the middle of the hall. His long graceful hands held a cup of tea and he told me, "Lift your head." I lifted my head and saw he first furrowed his brows then broke out into peals of laughter when he said, "Completely looking like a monkey." 

  At that time, the surrounding maids all laughed, but I did not notice it. I was always watching him, watching him all the way up there, as if seeing a god of one's heart. Previously, I thought that for a person like Second Master, even after spending my entire poor life, I would not be able to touch even his fingertip. However, later, Second Master became injured and I was able to remain to take care of him. Although it was tiring, at least he had fallen down a bit from his godly pedestal and I could now touch him.

  But who knew that Second Master was so powerful? Ever since he climbed out of his hell himself, I thought he would be returning to his original place. Who knew that he really returned --- but pulling my hand along with him. 

  Later, Second Master often asked me to tell him the stories of the past. If I did not tell him, he would be unhappy. But after I finished, he would go to his own corner and be miserable. At first, my heart could not bear this but later I felt that it was very fun. 

  But, I only dared to tell him about the incidents where he lost his temper. When he didn't throw his temper, when he quietly glided passed my face, I never dared to tell him about these. 
   
  Because I was afraid once I said these, some things could no longer be hidden. 








Our Second Master (我们家二爷) by Twentine (5 stars) (HE)
Translations: 1&2 3&4 5&6 7
*COMPLETED*

145 comments:

  1. Thank you, decembi.
    Touching short story, I always cry when read it *sob sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Glad you enjoyed it. I find the ending really perfect. So perfect, I had no urge to write any fanfiction for these two <3

      Delete
  2. Aww, 'the scent of a man'. Hahahahahahaha, our adorable Second Master!
    Thank you for translating this story :) Can't wait to read more of Heavy Sweetness and TPWCM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Heehee. Yes, I shall post more soon.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I've been waiting for this. :) Thank you for this wonderful story; it's short but it packed a powerful punch... it made my heart more than a little bit heavy, and it made me cry. Haven't had that happen in a while, I admit.
    I want to ask you something, because I'm not 100% sure how to interpret it... The last sentences, what do they mean?
    "But, I only dared to tell him about the incidents where he lost his temper. When he didn't throw his temper, when he quietly glided passed my face, I never dared to tell him about these. Because I was afraid once I said these, some things could no longer be hidden."
    Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it as the female lead admitting that she had liked the Second Master for a very long time. She has always been looking at him - hence remembering even the moments when he wasn't throwing his temper at her or when he was just silently passing her by. She didn't want to reveal these to the Second Master because it would make it very obvious that the crush she had hidden before would be completely revealed :)

      Delete
    2. Hello! I was wondering about that too!! :) good I get the answer ^^
      Anyway thank you for sharing, I loved the story. It was very moving.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for reading and sharing your love for this story ♡

      Delete
  4. Wait, so did the Second Master ever marry our female lead or was she only used as a concubine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second Master married her! She was the formal wife. <3

      Delete
    2. Oooh, that makes more sense! In some chinese novels the term "mistress" can mean concubine, so I was confused on whether mistress was a concubine or wife in this story. Thanks for the clarification! I'm a huge fan of your work! ☆☆☆☆☆

      Delete
    3. Translation work I mean~♡

      Delete
    4. Thanks for all the support <3

      Delete
  5. thks decembi. really a good treat after my working trip to phnom penh for last three days. it was such a touching love story that deserves my tears of happiness for them. now, i m really looking forward to the love between jin mi and phoenix. thanking you in advance for that. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww glad that you liked it so much! Tears of happiness indeed.

      I have to confess that the last few chapters of Heavy Sweetness is AGONISING.

      Delete
  6. Thanks. I cried! Just came back from drinking so my face is red and after reading this, my nose and eyes are also red. I look awful. Luckily I'm at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww!! I teared too. I've also read this short story probably more times than anyone now haha, and it still gets to me! Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this story! I really like it and I will read the whole story again once I have the time again. Can anyone explain to me what the last sentences mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a short explanation to Adnana which I'm going to paste here again. Do tell me if you need more clarifications!

      I read it as the female lead admitting that she had liked the Second Master for a very long time. She has always been looking at him - hence remembering even the moments when he wasn't throwing his temper at her or when he was just silently passing her by. She didn't want to reveal these to the Second Master because it would make it very obvious that the crush she had hidden before would be completely revealed :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome story! Thank you. I hope they have lovely children. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wish them sweet happiness ♡

      Delete
  9. omg! you are back =DDDDDD thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does the heroine really look like a monkey? I'm curious. But thank you for finishing the translation. This is a sweet short story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha impossible for me to say since I'm not Twentine. Welcome ♡

      Delete
    2. I don't think she looks like monkey, well he's rich, handsome, definitely have seen plenty beautiful ladies, compare to them, her average, sweet and maid appearance seems below average, and they insulted her like that, so sad

      Delete
    3. I like dundi's perspective as well! But I like how Twentine left it ambiguous for our interpretations. In the end, it didn't matter whether Little Monkey did really look like monkey, but he could see the true beauty of her heart and loved her all the same

      Delete
  11. This chapter brings that emotional feeling back again. I love his confession. It was heartfelt and truly outlines his dedication and love for her <3 This chapter was the one that I shed a couple of tears for as I can feel the desperation from the way Second Master's dialogue was written.

    Final Thoughts: Foremost, thank you for the entire story :D
    I would have never known about this gem without your recommendation and translations. This story gives us an example of the word dedication. The story reminds me of those news articles about couples that are there for each other through sickness and health, especially the ones where the wife/husband is there for their other half who is in the hospital bed. Such love brings me to tears at times. As for our two characters, I adore little monkey ;) She's a bit simple in thinking,but as you said, she deliberately ignores the signs that she picks up. Not really a clueless monkey by the end of the story ~
    Second master is wonderfully written as he shows the character development that I appreciate: enduring hardships and realizing those who truly cares for me. A little life lesson twentine gives to us(from my interpretation): to appreciate the ones there for you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely love your analysis ChocolateCosmos ♡♡♡ i think it's a very rich reading of the text. I honestly really love sharing such great stories and hope to share more if time permits

      Delete
  12. Thank you for bringing to us and translating this story ^^ I really enjoyed it. I love how Second Master changes from being scornful to later realizing how important our heroine is to him. Little Monkey was so loyal and caring from beginning to end no matter how she was treated. Second Master must've hated himself when he found out how he used to treat her, because the one he treated the worst was the only one to stay by his side when he had nothing. Definitely a touching story that brought tears to my eyes.

    Are there any other stories like this? I would love to read more of these types, especially ones with happy endings! I've read parts of Black Bellied Prince’s Stunning Abandoned Consort which has a kinda similiar storyline where hero doesn't appreciate the heroine who is his wife and is kind of ordinary, but she is really skilled at medicine and saves him a few times. I really liked this story up until the heroine died and woke up in a super beautiful girls body...TT Perhaps theres a reason for this later in the story, but it still is to me a very shallow deus ex machina and a huge turn off. :<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Completely agree with you about Second Master. He needed to taste the bitter regret of his absolutely horrible behaviour to Little Monkey previously. I loved that self blame bit since I felt he totally deserved it. What's best though is Little Monkey's wholehearted forgiveness

      Delete
    2. Oh i forgot to add! Hmm I don't really read stories by plot since I go more for the author's construction of her characters. I will do a write up on other gd short stories one day since i get request for recommendations often. You can check out my recc/review index as well

      Delete
  13. thank you decembi for writing the finale! i thought it mustve been my birthday to read a new update hehe :)

    its quite sad. yes 2nd master now loves her unconditionally, to the point where he finds life's purpose in her. but i cannot help feeling bitter, when monkey maid was unable to tell him everything. (personally i believe there should be no secrets between u and ur other half, but perhaps because monkey maid loved him so, thus did not bare to increase his misery, after all everyone deserves to be forgiven.)
    true there is no point of telling him, let bygones be bygones. now that everyone is so happily together. but i just cant help wonder, does 2nd master really love her for who she is or does he love her because she is his life saviour? & yet perhaps the things she has done constitutes of who she is as a person and a woman & so that equates to him loving her?
    thank you so much for not writing a typical cliche love story. life is not perfect, and neither is the journey towards love. hence, i really enjoyed reading the ups & downs, & having afterthoughts on each character. THANK YOU! <3 pls continue to do what u do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think the author ended it like that not to emphasize the fact that she is keeping something from 2nd master or that she was unable to tell him... The author shows us in the very last minute that our monkey has been in fact in love with 2nd master from the very beginning. It wasn't because she was just dense (which at times we thought she was) that she stayed with him or that she didn't have other "options". It was because she loved him all this time and was willing to sacrifice for him.

      As for the wanting to hide a part of how she feels, it has something to do with Chinese sensibility of being demure... There is a certain value in Chinese culture that not everything has be to be spoken out loud for it to be evident or known... It's not necessarily being not true to yourself or hiding something. I can't quite explain it fully... Maybe Decembi can explain that better.

      Delete
    3. Dear Priscilla and Atz,

      I really enjoyed reading both your thoughts. It's the richness of the responses that motivates me to translate these works to a non-Chinese reading audience. Thank you for the sincere responses.

      For the avoidance of doubt though, this is Twentine's fiction and only my translation ♡

      I find priscilla's question interesting - whether Second Master loved Little Monkey as a woman or saviour. I think it might be a bit of both. Who can really explain the exact reason or the nature of our love to someone else? Who is to say which type of love is better? The better part is being able to forgive the past and look to the future.

      I explained the ending above to Adnana. I like the last line - I thought it was a little bit of a twist from the author. You never really knew from the start if Little Monkey was attracted to Second Master since she so funnily gives jabs and sometimes even subtly scorns his (awful) behaviour. He was absolutely horrid to her and one found it hard to imagine her liking him - but the end tells you awww she did! Just like she hid a certain low self esteem, she kept what she thought was pitiful admiration. At the end, she has completely blossomed into a woman with self confidence almost demanding to be the only wife. She hides these past memories not because she is afraid but to tease him I imagine. And maybe in the later years, she will finally tell him and he will become so happy as I believe both of them will be

      Delete
    4. As to the concept of being demure, Atz is right, it's completely incompatible with Western standards. Western standards value forthrightness and being true to yourself and the world. But you can probably count on your ten fingers the instances where women held the power within the political and/or social landscapes and here is an instance where Little Monkey has turned that around. She's able to be honest about her devotion and sacrifice but also retain a rich inner dialogue about the reasons behind these actions. And it would be a beautiful gift should she share that secret with Second Master later in life but it would be a sharing of her choice unlike the power inequality which has shaped her life to date.

      Delete
    5. I think that's a very interesting perspective. I'm careful to stereotype certain behaviours as Asian or Western since it could be a matter of historical development in some cases and the concept of being demure may similarly be applied to for eg Victorian Society? But I do agree that a lot of these "ancient" fiction are characterised by power inequalities between the genders

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this beautiful short story! I was reading this in my room and I am afraid my roommate saw me bawling LOL. I hope she has a new name now instead of Little Monkey now that he marries her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I think Little Monkey has become their term of affection. But formally, she will become known as Mistress Yang

      Delete
  16. Thanks Decembi! It was beautiful heart tugging. Loved it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Atz ♡♡♡ always lovely to hear from you

      Delete
  17. I read this in Chinese after reading the translation of the first two chap... But I still feel the most natural reading English so I still read the whole translation lol, thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very very much for sharing this wonderful story with us....:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you very much. Love it. But too strong story for a morning coffee, I spilled it on me. chichichi. Now I am very enthusiastic about short stories. I like its density. Thanks for bringing it to us. Bye bye. Karol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Karol for faithfully leaving comments. To good stories! ♡

      Delete
  20. Thanks so much for this beautiful translation! I agree with the earlier comme about chinese culture being ok wit characters not putting everything out on the table as openly as say European cultures. I don't believe this is a bad thing as it makes the smaller gestures mean so much - I find myself reading through your translations 3 or 4 times and still picking up the hidden meanings and nuances. Thank you again Decembi! ! Looking forward to Heavy Sweetness!! Jia you! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome ♡ am very happy that you actually re-read the translations to pick up on the nuances

      Delete
  21. I read all chapters in one go and this was truly a beautiful story. I didn't think that a few chapters would make a story this deep and it rekindled my love for short stories -- only now I look for Chinese translated ones (as I cannot understand Chinese). Thank you so much for sharing this story with us :) it is one of those things I will read and re-read again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww it makes me truly happy to kindle your love for chinese stories! Well to be honest, they do vary with quality and this is one of my favourite ones ♡

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "To be treated like a treasure by a useless man, was still useless. So I told myself, I must rise up, become a man standing above men. Even thought I was only half a man now, I had to raise her up."

    - I, so much love this line. So endearing. He became responsible and devoted, after the monkey gave all her best without any expectations. Thru her, he learned the evils of his old selfish ways. Is it really true, in every successful man...There's a woman behind? Oh pfftt! Most of today's generation of men are nothing but, an opportunist *Shrugs*

    Nice read dear decembi �� thanks ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. - Samie �� here.

      Take Care and Have Fun Always ��

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Samie, your comment is hilarious! <3

      Delete
  24. Hellloooooooooooo!!!! Greetings!!!!! How are you, decembi? I hope you are in good health.

    It's been awhile since I last post a comment. I did come here often to check for updates but via my mobile. Is hard to post comment via mobile XD sorry for that.

    This story is short, simple and sweet. When you posted the first part, I like it and went ahead to read the rest in Chinese :P ... then read again via your translations. Haha... I like that he realised who is important to him in the end (or middle of the story). I wonder if they have any kids XD ... hope their kids are as intelligent as their father but kind-hearted like their mother.. (but not as dense as mom, though)

    and thank you for taking the time to translate for us.

    Does the author has other short stories (like these)? Wanted to slot in short stories with the current (long) story that Im reading (so that I dont get bored!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fangorn, wonderful to hear from you! :) I actually think Little Monkey is intelligent in her own ways too, but perhaps not as shrewd as Second Master.

      You are welcome! Thanks for leaving a comment. Hmm, I don't think Twentine has other short stories. I will do a short write up if I can find the time on other decent short stories

      Delete
    2. Someone posted another story by Twentine but that one is a sad one...so skipping that one.. I want my OTP to live happily ever after at the end.. :)

      It is posted in shusheng... hui3r translated the ending chapter and woah...that is enough to not read the book... even though you may argue the journey is worth more than the destination.

      Delete
    3. I avoid books with sad endings as well! I don't know - I think happy fluffy books or even bitter with a sweet ending is more my style. Twentine has a lovely writing style but I think most of her stories are open ended.

      Delete
  25. Thank you for sharing this amazing story with us

    Such a beautiful story and I really appreciate your effort in translating so people like me ( who can't read Chinese ) still able to know this story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support and leaving a comment! I'm really surprised and glad about how many people appreciated this story. :) Will definitely be motivated to share again if I find another great one.

      Delete
  26. love it...love all the character!!
    tq decembi for translating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! <3 Thank you so much for the support

      Delete
  27. Thank you for your translation such a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nan, thanks for reading and leaving such a sweet comment <3

      Delete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aaah, cute harmless story. I like it! Thank you for the translation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for translating such a cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  32. fantastic. It caught my heart :)Thank you for your translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and sharing your feelings with me <3

      Delete
  33. what a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us. I really liked it,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super wonderful to hear from you again Sutekii <3

      Delete
  34. Thank you for making it possible for us to read this wonderful story. I'm glad that they got their happy ending after such a terrible accident. Really an inspiring story. Thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and leaving such a heartfelt comment. It was my pleasure to translate such a touching story <3

      Delete
  35. It really a nice story, thank for the translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! :) Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  36. Thank you so much for this wonderful story. I am truly amazed by how it is made. I love the characters the plot. It was just perfect! Very thankful i have found such a beautiful novel. To be honest this is my first time reading a novel online thats not a manga. Best decision ever. I simply just couldnt stop reading. Once again it very beautifully made and im ver thankful to have read it ☺️☺️ i would like to humbly ask if you have any recommendations of other novels like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anjerrica, thank you so much for your very lovely comments! :) To be honest, this was one of the best Chinese short stories I've read in the romance genre. None has really touched my heart as much, so I feel inadequate in recommending stories... the shushengbar has quite a few translations that I would recommend you check out! Go check out the english translation link. Hmm, probably Sansheng, Death Exists Not at the River of Oblivion by Jiu Lu Fei Xiang - short and also very touching.

      Delete
  37. Thank you so much for translating this! The whole thing was upsetting but I was satisfied with the ending. I was so upset at the main character demeaning herself as though its par for course and the way the Second Master used to be. He did grow from his bitter experience and found in the process someone who earnestly helped him go through that awful period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Chocobana, thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! Yes, Little Monkey was very self deprecating throughout - she's very interesting, she appears to have no pride, but she really has a backbone and very self assured in other matters. I do feel that in the end, they deserved each other simply because they have been through so much and are able to appreciate the beauty of their current love.

      Delete
  38. thank you for the hard work :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anna, thanks for reading and leaving a sweet comment each time <3

      Delete
  39. thank you for the hard work :3

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for translating this!! I read the novel the other day in Chinese and wanted more cos it's so short! Then I found your English translations and have gone back to re-read it :)

    Even though it's only 7 chapters, the writer did so well in creating characters that are endearing and go through strong character development. Such a simple but sweet story. I love the emotional payoff in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dincytea, yes I totally agree with you. That's why I translate actually - I love these stories so much that I want to relive the experience and share it with others. When you translate a story, you are reliving the story at least three times more haha!

      I think this story is the perfect length though - I wish I could have more details of their lives especially their happy ever afters, but I feel like I also know all I need <3

      Delete
  42. I can not count how many times I have read this story and it always touch my heart. Really love this one. Will surely comeback sometimes to read again. Wish there is more I missed the two of them and wants to see how they lived after this. But I think knowing that in the end they are together is enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lingtzi, aww thanks for leaving such a heartfelt comment. Yes, Our Second Master is one of my favourite short stories. I think the space for imagination is rather nice - I don't know the exact details of their happy ever after, but I'm sure it's very warm and loving. :)

      Delete
  43. I love married couples in romance. Are you all sure they're married? Where is the evidence? I just want to be sure before I read and bawl my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they got married in the end :)

      Delete
  44. Waaaaa
    I cried so much reading it
    It was so touching
    It was totally worth it!
    They were so cute and strong~
    She was so stupid and clueless, everyone knew and perceived, but not her. He should've made it clearer since the beginning!
    Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the Second Master did make it clear, or at least clear enough for the reasonable person to know, but Little Monkey's self esteem is so so so low when it comes to seeing herself as equal (or even better) than Second Master. And, to be fair, I think Second Master had self esteem issues of his own, when he wasn't sure if he deserved her so he didn't want to come on too strong as well. Thanks for reading <3

      Delete
  45. Thank you so much for your translation. It is indeed a story that so much worth to spread it. At first I found your blog from finding the exact meaning of what does Black Belly mean though I could guess it. Then I found your reccomendation on Come Eat Shan Shan. It is a very funny story. After I finish it, I then am addicted to your reccommendation so I start by reading this story based on its happy ending. LOL. I normally do not like angst.

    However, this story though contains angst, it is beautifully growing and happy ending. I shed my tear a lot. I really like the ending that made me smile.

    " Later, Second Master often asked me to tell him the stories of the past. If I did not tell him, he would be unhappy. But after I finished, he would go to his own corner and be miserable. At first, my heart could not bear this but later I felt that it was very fun. "

    Hahaahahaha..... Second Master, you asked for it then you go to your corner and be miserable! So lovely!

    I imagine their children would have a very good story to be told how their parents ending up married. Hehehehe... Thanks again for your translation. I am stalking your recommendation now. :P

    Mei T. R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also did not get it in my first read for why Little Monkey would leave Second Master but found out later that it was because she was hurt to think that there are again a lot of concubine maids, am I right? Please do tell me your thought. :D

      Delete
    2. Dear Meimeika, awww thanks for your wonderful long comment! Sorry, I missed both of your comments for such a long time.

      My reading was that she decided to leave Second Master because she thought he had returned to his original position again - the high lofty Second Master with all the pretty maidens. Except, this time, she couldn't stay with him as she did before because now she truly loved him, so instead of being jealous of the girls she thought would come again, she decided to leave.

      Delete
  46. I've seen this story a lot but i've always skipped it because the summary really doesn't sound interesting. But now I regret that I didn't read this sooner. Oh well, at least now I know this wonderful story. I teared up in the part where the second master thought the little monkey is leaving him because he used to hit her in the past. So sad... but I'm very happy with how things turned out in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Roxasfleur, thanks for your heartfelt comment. Yes, the summary isn't enticing but the story is so surprisingly touching. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  47. thanks a lot---!
    that was really an amazing story! i will probably reread it numerous times, especially when i want to cry, lol! all my feels---!

    i'm really happy that they're together now, and i hope that they will love each other and find happiness together until the end---!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol the feels! Me too! It always brings a tear to my eye and a heartily deserved happy ending! <3

      Delete
  48. Oh my. That was awesome! So refreshing to read such short story. I love the female lead she is simple minded but I love her dedication for second master. She is not dense but I think her mindset as a maid who obediently doing her duty and responsibilities to her master covered it all but heaven really gives blessing the deserving one. I was thinking sometimes I wish I have that kind of character too just like little monkey (haha maybe I was deeply moved by little monkey for a moment)

    Their convo always fell on one question, one answer between her and second master but I found it very amusing haha.

    As for second master well I want to know more of his thoughts about little monkey. His upbringing not only for himself but for her. He had face such misfortune to change his old self to a fine and responsible man.

    Now I believed this story gives what happened in real life, ups and down, good to be called a journey in ones life but as for these couple oh my for me thats not the ending it depends on the reader how she/he continue their story (or am I only the one?haha)


    Actually I havent had enough of it but after reading those comments and decembi answers I came to have this kind of realization. Anyways, thanks for sharing this beautiful short story.

    I welcome recommended stories too just like this. XD


    Anyway thank you again for translating this. It was really great. Xd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary Ann Ambrosio, awww thanks for your super heartfelt comment and I felt really touched reading it. It's amazing that this story can give you such insights and emotions and I'm so happy that you enjoyed reading it so much. This is why I translate :)

      Delete
  49. This was such a nice story. I have read it multiple times. Thank you for translating this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie for reading this! <3 My pleasure.

      Delete
  50. I'm so happy for Little Monkey and Second Master <3
    Thanks a lot for translating this, decembi~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Thanks so much for reading! <3

      Delete
  51. Ah anniversary read i think , thanks again my ntn time reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW anniversary read <3 that's so sweet!

      Delete
  52. I did think she might have loved him, but I'm still surprised. The past him was truly horrible, there was nothing to like about him.
    And he saw her for so many years, used her as a punch-bag...how could you possibly forget? No matter how insignificant she was, after so many years of seeing her and interacting with her, it's biologically impossible to forget.
    Well, nice to see her climb up a little and have a better life and be with the one she loves. They're both big dummies, so I guess they fit each other. I did cry a bit during the last chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks d0here for your heartfelt comment. I agree that physical abuse is a HUGE no-no, but I think he also got his comeuppance with the karmic retribution he arguably received? I'm just really happy that Monkey got her heart's desire in the end.

      Delete
  53. Thank you so much for translating this beautiful story! There were so many feels, especially in this last chapter. It was so heart-warming when the female protagonist explained how to take care of the male protagonist, and how he described the hardships he endured. It was so heartbreaking when the male protagonist admitted that he couldn't remember her, then when he realized how he mistreated her and wanted to let her hit him back. At that moment, it felt like he must have thought that he lost his legs as punishment for kicking her. Yet it was funny when she asked how many mistresses there'd be for bedroom matters, then concluded that she was no longer an innocent monkey. And it seems the male protagonist did not want to forget his guilt since he asked her again about the past, though that seems to have worked out for the better since the female protagonist gained a playful and more confident side. An incredibly sweet story, thanks for bringing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mizura, I really enjoyed your comment - thank you for sharing <3. It really adds to my love to the story and made me so happy that I translated it for a wider audience.

      Delete
  54. "I suddenly realised that there was still one person in this world who was willing to risk her life for a disabled man like me. But that person was stupid to death, so I thought again, if I just died like this, what would happen to her?"

    "To be treated like a treasure by a useless man, was still useless. So I told myself, I must rise up, become a man standing above men. Even thought I was only half a man now, I had to raise her up."
    Second Master answered in a trembling voice, "That I didn't remember you."

    Second Master pulled my hand and placed it on his chest. His hot tears rolled onto my wrist and I felt like my heart was being pressed so unbearably that I wanted to die. "Master is most regretful that I did not remember you."

    Im reading this the second time round and i am still so touch by this story. She have him the reason to be strong, to live. Really love at its greates
    Thankyou for sharing such a wonderful novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww i love the quotes you picked out! <3 Thanks for reading and sharing your beautiful feelings.

      Delete
  55. never expect this short nevel will be so touching..Thank you for your beautiful translation and big hug for the loving author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Airy, heehee short novels can surprise you. Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  56. That's a ridiculously good novel, many thanks for taking your time to translate it.

    It's kind of funny how so many of those highly ranked series are barely more than fan service, and yet quite a lot of those short stories are so good, but hidden in a corner of the web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh absolutely agree with what you say! It's hard to find a short story that captures so so so much, and Twentine is just amazing.

      Delete
  57. This ending is perfect. I loved this short story. Good job on the translation, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) I try my best.

      Delete
  58. I dont know why but I just keep coming back to read this story. I didnt know it could be this amazing when I first read it. Thank you for translating this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for re-reading and showing this story so much love.

      Delete
  59. I truly enjoyed this story. The underdog came up triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Replies
    1. Glad the story is worth re-reading!

      Delete
  61. I hope they will turn the story into a tv series. I'd like Wallace Huo or Huang Xuan as 2nd Master and Dilraba Dilmurat or Zhou Xun as Hou the maid. That would be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. Would love it as a movie actually!

      Delete
  62. Goodness gracious.. this made me cry a glass of tears. Really.. at first, its kinda funny how she describe her days during her first 2 years with 2nd master. Then, cried and felt heartache when the 2nd master suffer and she is soo oblivious when 2nd master falls for her while she was definitely too naive to notice. Though, I can't blame her after all the things the 2nd master done to her in the past. She can only think her 2nd master is kinda weird after the tragedy that happened. Then, later on... happy because both of them finally have a happy ending. Together.. and now I all I felt is reluctance to go out of my room for my parents may ask why do I have read eyes. I can't say.. its because this story makes me cry. They'll surely laugh at me.

    Anyway.. thanks for the wonderful trnaslation of this novel. This has been long in my reading list. I just read it now to past time. It made me cry in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww. This comment was so heartfelt. Thanks for sharing <3

      Delete
  63. The story is amazing and you are amazing!!!! Thank you for translating this story....

    I keep wondering what happen with the "Granny"???...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Maybe she went back to her hometown.

      Delete
  64. Thanks for the translations Decembi!!

    ReplyDelete
  65. This story is really really short! But it's a good one! At the end I was just thinking your face really caught a good one! LoL.

    ReplyDelete
  66. A short lovely story

    ReplyDelete
  67. Wow! this is really nice story. I love it. Thanks for update!

    ReplyDelete
  68. This is a great, unusual story that you would normally never read in light novels covering historical plot lines. The fact that the ML suffered injures that changed his life and was thus thrown off his previous high hours (a.k.a. losing his legs), really sets this story apart from all the other historical light novels with overpowered ML who end up having it all.

    In addition, this may seem highly cynical (especially after reading all the sweet comments people made), but I feel like she got her revenge in the end. As she said previously, she stayed because the second master owed her a debt, and she definitely collected. Whats worse then living with the knowledge that you physically abused the love of your life, and then even have the audacity to forget about it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love his character development and how he turned from a spoiled young master depending on his fathers wealth to a strong self made man with humility and honor. And I love the relationship between the MC and ML, and the hilarious struggle the ML had to undergo in order for the MC to realize that her feelings are returned. I just find it ironic that despite her technically never wanting revenge in the first place (just an excuse to her self in order to stay by the second masters side), she still ended up getting it. Again, this is just one of the many observations on this story and does not define the story ending by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Beautiful story, thank you so much for translating this..

    ReplyDelete
  70. this was... strangely emotionally exhausting to read.... sigh...

    its a beautiful translation and story. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Thank you so much for translating such a beautiful story<3

    ReplyDelete